Raising Bugs

 As a software tester, I find myself raising issue tickets , suggestions and even diagnosing bugs for other people's software. Often. Not a week goes by without something not being right. Last week it was the broken Unity installer app. 

Basically Unity fails to install if the bootstrap downloader is not on the same drive as the target install. Which is a problem for people like me who boot off of an SSD and do not want to have huge apps install on their system volume. Took me a while to find that the installer was reading the wrong Windows setting so just ended up running it all on my HDD. But why?


Anyway, this was only interesting, because this week I had to install the NVidia Experience App. Now the Geforce experience is not brilliant, it's at times a slow and cumbersome app that scans your computer for installed games in the background and seems to think that that's the only thing it needs to do well, and they never bothered to do some analytics and discover that most people install the suite because it gives them Shadowplay screen recorder, which is a very nice screen recorder (but has some bugs)

Anyway, NVidia seem to have the same Bug Unity have, and you have to change your default install path registry keys to point to C:\programdata not D: else Geforce install just fails with an exit code 3 in a messagebox and suggest rebooting to fix the issue. That's 2 bugs in one, a stupid errorcode message, and a stupid underlying installer defect.
After a support chat session once again, I did find a resolution, but I have to wonder who triages these bugs? I would hate to be on the receiving end. The games industry never take bugs seriously anyway, but I'll bet they have to put up with a load of vitriol.

My bugs? Well my failure this week was me recording take 2 of a tutorial with my microphone on mute. #FailArmy celebration deluxe.

Comments