Raspberry Pi week 2 ttyS0

Hook a serial terminal to the Raspberry Pi is the goal this week. I still have tonnes to learn about how to run gnu-linux, and still to install the Python interpreter. But this will be much easier with a screen, for which I might be using a cheap Android tablet. I find getting the kids away from the telly so I can plug the Raspberry Pi into it is a bit impossible. Found this post on how to connect a max232 to the Pi : http://codeandlife.com/2012/07/01/raspberry-pi-serial-console-with-max3232cpe/ . Note this requires a 3.3 volt maxim chip.

To get going, I open cmdline.txt in notepad
dwc_otg.lpm_enable=0 console=ttyAMA0,115200 kgdboc=ttyAMA0,115200 console=tty1 root=/dev/mmcblk0p2 rootfstype=ext4 rootwait
Not sure what the runes here mean though, so connected it using my max 232 and it works when connected to Tera-Term. Don't bother with hyperterminal, use tera-term or on linux, minicom.
Next we want to use the tablet as a terminal, so I have wired the tablet dongle a new serial port via a hole drilled into the dongle, the port works, because when I connect it to me teraterm, it keeps prompting me to login, (every 60 seconds) so this is not what I want, it looks like the default console on the tabled is wired to that port already. I mean like, what's the point. This probably means I need to root the tablet, it has version 2.2 on it, loaded under then brand name Wondermedia 8650. So I'll need to find an old rom on the web, and then work out how to flash this unit.


Comments